Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Surfing for care

I got an e-mail from a reader saying that she was under the impression that most doctors don't like their patients coming into their offices armed with web page printouts, convinced they already know what's wrong with them and just need a prescription written. She was responding to my last post about Health 3.0, which is web-based health care, allowing patients to largely diagnose themselves -- even take their own blood tests.


Well, I can't speak for most doctors, or whether they would like such a thing, but I can tell you the type of doctors who come to a conference like the Health Care Globalization Summit here in Las Vegas.


They are entrepreneur doctors. The ones I have seen spent very little time in medical practice, turning instead to the business world soon after leaving med school. They went from diagnosing diseases to diagnosing business opportunities, and acting on them.


I can't honestly say at this point if this is at all typical of American doctors, but it doesn't sound like any of the doctors I have seen in Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment